Monday 28 October 2013

On the home ed bookshelf: Navigation

This weeks reads from the Horler Hub:

The Solar System

Sometimes it's the simple books that give you all the information you need: I don't have masses of money to have a beautifully stocked library - and neither do I feel the need for that when we have great public libraries.  I do however like to have handy resources for the children to explore and the Usbourne beginners books are clear, small and affordable.  We used this little book for our geography lesson (below), and if we need more detail we head off to the library for heavier titles.


Geography for Every Kid

How do you approach Geography as a home educating parent?  Ummm, if like me, you stick some maps of the world up and hope that will work then this book is perfect for you!  Each chapter as an element of geography (including maps, climates, time zones and so forth); the chapter starts with 'what you need to know' which I read to the children, followed by prompt questions to get you thinking and then a hands-on activity to support and explore the learning.  I enjoyed our first 'lesson' last week on the Earth in space almost as much as the children did!


Boundaries

 I am one of those people who find it hard to say 'NO'; for whatever reason I hear myself saying yes even when I am thinking "how am I going to do that?"!  This book was a gift from a friend who saw that in me, and noticed that I was often overwhelmed and neglecting myself to my own detriment (I love good friends like that!).  The book has a strong Christian ethos throughout (but don't let this put you off if you are not religious); I have (with the support of the book) been able to put effective boundaries into place that have had a hugely positive impact on my quality of life.  And I no longer feel guilty when I need to say no!


Which book will you add to your bookshelf?


No comments:

Post a Comment